Thursday, June 5, 2008

R/D 8 Chapter 21

Well, I finally did have a chance to get the correct book! I'm glad I had the opportunity to read this chapter. The district I am working for is going through a district wide systemic change and I was pleasantly surprised with the reading. There were definitely some things our district did in comparison to the reading such as "some "discrete events" a chronological series of activities for engaging in systemic change" (Reiser & Dempsey, p. 211). We have put together many activities for staff, families, and students to adjust to the upcoming facility plans of merger two schools into four different elementarys. The pre-planning for all of this was not handled as well as it could have been. The chapter refers to "one of the most common reasons for organization transformation to fail is lack of good preparation and planning (Reiser & Dempsey, p. 214). Once the staff took action about the matter the district chose to be proactive and listen to us. Which I felt fit well with continuous events. We have now had direct contact with the assistant superintendent as well as the superintendent, while things are still in progress many of the matters are now being handled. I think it will be interesting what next year will look like for all of us with these mergers. I can envision most classes with about 30 students in them. I am curious how this is helping our students and what is best for them. In addition, what will the district look like in 5 years, will their plan hold true of remodeling and building new elementarys? Only time will tell. This reading was very interesting in learning more about what is entailed with all of these changes that can occur.

No comments: