Wednesday, May 21, 2008

R/D3 Reflection on Trends and Issues Chapter one

Honestly, I have never really thought about the definitions of the field. I found it interesting the view taken on instructional technology. It started being view as media, then a process, then in the 1970's they developed a definition that was more than 120 pages long! (Reiser, Dempsey, 2002, p. 7-9).
I am exploring where this degree might take me. I am constantly looking for ways to add more technology into my everyday teaching. As of right now, I am a new elementary teacher and would like to stick with this for awhile and use what I am learning to enhance the curriculum. In the future, who knows what lies ahead. I believe technology will be growing substantially as it has been since the 1990's.
The most surprising part of this chapter is the fact that defining a field can be this difficult. Reiser and Dempsey have developed a definition that will be used for the purpose of this book. This book was written in 2002, I would bet that the definition is already in the process of being changed once again. The definition needs to keep up with all of the changes taking place in the technology world, just as it has done in the past. As of right now with the current knowledge I have I do not see anything missing. Once I have acquired further knowledge in the field of study my view may alter, but for now the definition is clear and concise.

3 comments:

Katherine said...

"I believe technology will be growing substantially as it has been since the 1990's."

I often wonder what the future will look like and how technology will drive it. 10 years ago I never would have thought that I wouldn't use CD's anymore or that I could afford something that would verbally tell me how to get somewhere while I am driving or that i could watch tv on my computer.

Katherine

Jeff Tyler said...

Darcy,

When I read your comment about the book being written in 2002 and that the definitions are probably in the process of being change, I chuckled to myself. I totally agree, they probably are. The speed at which things are developing will certainly require the definitions being updated more often than in the past. Sooner or later it will probably have to go to a “living document” where changes will be made as needed. Maybe that is a good use for a Wiki????????

Jeff Tyler

Sheena B. said...

I think it is funny how our culture seems so obsessed with labels. Some changes make sense such as changing things from disabled persons to persons with disabilities because that is putting the person and not the disability first.

But other things such as the Special Education department changing their name to Educational Studies (which could mean anything); doesn't- so then they changede ijt again (Special Education and Literacy Studies).

The field of technology of course is no different and I was greatful for the expanded understanding that I got from learning about the definition changes. Learning about them changed my view of the field a great deal.